Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Small Vent

So to give you a little background information, (Sorry Phil), Phil and I were out training one night, or more like I was training he was keeping me company. We ended up in a debate about women waiting until they were 40 to get mammograms. He was making good points looking at it from a money standpoint and everything else that is logical, where I was looking at it from what I call a *girl* standpoint. Mine was all emotions. When Phil would say, is it worth it to have 5,000 women tested every single year for 10 years and waste all that money when they may only miss 1 or 2 women in the entire bunch? My response? What if that one was me.

So tonight, since I have a break from school, I spent some time googling for fun (which was a nice change!) And I came across many articles that now are stated that women do not need to get mammograms until they are 50 years old. FIFTY! I think out of all the women I know, my grandmother may be the only one that developed breast cancer AFTER the age of fifty. I read through some interviews from doctors, and it looks like they are not agreeing with this either. They said they would continue to have their patients get yearly mammograms, that breast cancer is the most common cancer and second cause of death from cancer.

The reason for the U.S. Preventative Task Force to choose the age of 50 and then every other year after that is due to false positives. Which causes stress in women. I'm sorry but I would rather be stressed for a week or two until they do another test than to not be tested at all.

Okay small vent over. Time for bed. Sweet dreams all!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment